DAF Museum

For breakfast this morning we ate cinnamon rolls from a place called Cinnamood. They have 17 different flavors of cinnamon rolls, including 6 that are non-dairy which was nice for me. I let the kids pick out what flavors they wanted. Landon chose an Oreo flavor one and Kailey got a coconut one. I got a traditional as well as an apple roll that had cinnamon apple compote on top for Nate and I to share.



Oreo crumble on top of cinnamon roll

This morning there is mostly blue sky when I look out the window, so I wear just a light sweater over my shirt and leave my coat at the hotel, as I've been getting sweaty and hot with my unbreathable rain jacket.


Today we are going to explore the DAF museum in Eindhoven. Surprisingly I've never been here in all the time I've stayed in Eindhoven, although I'm not much of an explorer on my own. The walk is just under 10 minutes from our hotel and we see some odd looking ducks along the way. After doing a Google lens on my picture I find it's actually an Egyptian Goose.



The museum cost 28,50 euros for the three of us, and they give us a scavenger hunt sheet for the kids to find answers in the museum. They only have it in Dutch, but I'm able to use Google translate on my phone to read the questions.


We spend around 2 hours in the museum. We have to go around twice to find some answers we missed. In the end I have to guess at one or two when we can't find where the display is. Not all answers are spelled out on a sign, sometimes you just have to understand what you are reading and sometimes the Dutch descriptions on the sign have more information than the English version. So it isn't perfect, but the kids still have fun exploring.




1951 Police Van


Landon driving a DAF delivery simulator


This WWII mobile stretcher was meant to allow one person to carry a soldier off the battlefield. Although I don't know how bike friendly battlefields typically are. It was used somewhat in WW2, and test subjects claimed it was a comfortable ride.


Other WWII DAF Army vehicles


The DAF Mobile Raincoat is a three wheeled car designed to be able to drive though a doorway and park it in the house to avoid the rain. This was designed back in 1943 during Nazi-occupation.


This DAF Kini was a gift to the Royal Dutch family in 1966 upon the birth of Prince Willem-Alexander, who is now the king. They royal family used it at their summer villa in the seaside resort of Porto Ercole in Italy. It features whicker seats and dashboard, and reminds me a a Flintstones' car.




Lots of different kind of race cars and trucks that DAF played a roll in. This truck took part in the 1987 Paris-Dakar Rally. There were two of these vehicles and one of them had a serious crash that killed the navigator. So even though this truck was performing well, they pulled out of the race.


This DAF Porter prototype was an amphibious vehicle developed for the US Army in 1964. It had a two-cylinder engine, a continuously variable transmission, as well as a water jet that could propel it in water up to 21 knots. After testing, the US Army canceled the project after they determined it was too difficult to steer and brake.




Just as we are about to leave it starts downpouring, as hard as we have seen yet. Luckily it only lasts for maybe 5 minutes. To kill time we go to the gift shop and get our answers checked. We only missed 2 out of 20 questions. They give us each a little keychain as a prize. This makes the kids happy, they love getting free stuff!


With the downpour over we quickly walk back to the hotel as the clouds still look threatening. I feel a couple rain drops start to fall just as we reach the hotel.


The kids say they aren't hungry just yet which is surprising as it's almost 1 PM. They play some games while we wait out the rain. When the rain stops we head out for lunch.


One thing in the past we could never find in the Netherlands was good Mexican food. But in the last 14 yeas they have added several options in and around town, including Taco Bell....probably more American then Mexican, but the kids like it.


Here's how Taco Bell compares to the US: The menu isn't quite as big, but we are able to find what we want. The Taco Bell app doesn't work in Europe, or apps for Burger King and other fast food for that matter. They do use apps, however they must be a different app. Another difference is that they use reusable glass cups if you are dining in, which the kids found fancy. They also had lounge type chairs upstairs to sit at. Taco Bell also had a free bathroom, which is unusual for Europe.



After lunch we walk across town a ways to check out the giant bowling pin art piece. This brings us by the train station where the kids are amazed to find multi level bike parking.




You never know what kind of art you'll find around town!


After we are done looking at the bowling pins the kids are both complaining their feet hurt, so we head back. Nate is going to be interviewing someone tomorrow and he asked me to iron his nice button up shirts and slacks, so I have things to do anyway.


For dinner tonight we head to Trafalgers Pub. We don't have a reservation and the main restaurant is full, but they have a patio out back with some umbrellas we can sit at. We try to find one with the driest table and chairs, which was wise as it did decide to start raining again.


Nate loves the Sheppard's pie here, which can sometimes take up to an hour to come out of the kitchen. He's thinking he may just get a burger as we are already eating a later than normal dinner, but since we had a late lunch I tell him to just order it anyhow. Amazingly I think it only takes 20-30 minutes or so to come out of the kitchen.



Bitterballen, which is a meat paste that is breaded and fried. It also tasted better then it sounds


Nate with his Sheppard's Pie


I got fish and chips, and it came with two large pieces of fish


The kids were both excited to get a little ice cream after their chicken nuggets.

Unfortunately sitting outside has some downfalls, we are less visible to the waiters which don't really check on you very often anyway in Europe. So we have to go find the waiter when we want our check so we can leave.



On the way back to the hotel we spot this funny little delivery van.


After I get the kids to bed, I sneak into the closet and pack an overnight bag for our surprise weekend adventures.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Australia: The Backstory

Australia Day 1: The Adventure Begins

Europe 2012- Day 4: Palace Het Loo